We give you the top 5 tips on soaping up and sudsing down ...Read More
Keeping your powerchair clean
With concerns about sterilising and cleaning surfaces being paramount, we thought it wise to remind you about the tips and hints for keeping your Magic Mobility wheelchair in tip top condition and you as safe as possible.
Proper cleaning during these at-risk times is extremely important.
Due to the easy transmission of the COVID-19 virus, the World Health Organisation provided essential recommendations to prevent its transmission. It’s important to socially distance yourself from others, frequently wash your hands and intensively clean surfaces of the things we use regularly. This means your powerchair too!
First thing to know – a clean wheelchair is not the same as a disinfected one. You might wipe bacteria and germs away and remove them from a surface, but this is not the same as killing the actual germ.
Top tips for keeping your wheelchair sparkling
- It is vital to clean your wheelchair every time you visit a public place like a supermarket.
- All contact surfaces must be treated with a disinfectant solution. Disinfect with wipes that contain at least a 70% alcohol solution, or other approved store-bought solutions for disinfecting surfaces. The sanitiser must remain on the surface for at least 15 minutes. The surface should then be cleaned with a wipe and rinsed with an aseptic cloth.
- Ensure all surfaces are rinsed with clean water and dried thoroughly after disinfection. Remember if your wheelchair is not properly dried, it can cause damage. It is always better to clean any component of your chair with a slightly damp cloth, not wet.
- Do not use solvents, bleaches, abrasives, synthetic detergents, wax enamels, or sprays.
- Have a look at the instructions in your Magic Mobility Owner’s Manual if you’re unsure about what to use and for more information about cleaning the controls.
- Don’t forget to disinfect the seating, armrests, joystick and other components that are frequently touched by users and caregivers.
Take a look at Scott’s video – he’s our Rehabilitation Engineer and will remind you about how to clean your powerchair.
Do you have questions about keeping you powerchair in top notch condition? You can drop us a note here.